Wednesday, June 7, 2017
This week was the final period of class time that was all set aside for work on our Genius Hour projects. I added a few different mammals to my list of domesticated ones in order to beef up my research base a little bit more and also make it possible to make connections during the presentation. I also attempted to find any facts that I could that would help to disprove any myths about domestication or taming, mainly how they are different. I added that portion to the horse slides because of the fact that wild horses are often tamed and used like a domesticated horse would be. The lack of genetic differences is very important to notice and is the only reason the two animals are different. I now have to just add the research that I have been conducting to the PowerPoint and make it look neat and presentable for the class. I will also rehearse some of the lines or slides that I will be reading so I don't just stand and look at the board the whole time. I also will need to add more on the process of domestication as well as the artificial selection portion of the slide show.
This week we were doing or last batch of new information of the year and most of it was based upon communities and ecosystems as well as neurons. On monday we looked at neuron structure in class and went over how they communicate with one another and travel across the body. I learned something I did not know, even with my past knowledge of neurons from psychology, that the neurons from the bottom of our legs can run all the way up to our spine. I had no idea that a cell that long existed within the human body and could produce such a fast response. For homework we also had to watch a video on communities and ecosystems and answer a few questions about the video as well. We also began to do our transpiration lab lab and presentations this week, ours being based upon whether or not the stem cells in a plant with a leaf and without a leaf would act the same and still take up water. What we found was that without a leaf the cells within the plant would not open their stomata to take up as much water. This and other findings will be put on our poster and presented next week along with all the other lab groups. At the end of the week we also finished up our last ecosystems video.