Tuesday, February 14, 2017

We began the week by going over the transcription vodcast in class and discussing it within our groups. We also received another packet on DNA that we worked through with our groups as well. The packets were on the same topics as the vodcast and had to do with structure, replication and translation. DNA structure was more review than anything based on what we had already learned in advanced bio about the nucleotides and the 3’ to 5’ structure. The replication portion was a little bit more new and the experiments that we learned about we didn't get as in depth with last time. The use of different isotopes of nitrogen was new for me but it did give us deeper insight on what happened when they discovered how DNA worked. Transcription is probably the most complex part with all the different enzymes and specifics. Also it's different for some cells than others which will probably make it more confusing on a test or quiz. With some studying and focus I can probably do fine on the material we receive. The later part of the week was spent on our playdough modes of translation and transcription. Dennis and I used the different colors to represent different nucleotides and the shape maker to represent our enzyme. The colors were made into balls and used to code for our gene that made you not have a cleft chin. The DNA sequence was made using a random generator with a start and stop at the ends. We laid out the sequence and made a type of slideshow where the DNA was read and then the RNA was read at the ribosome and made into a protein. The class should have theirs done by Monday and we will most likely be able to watch them all then. The hands on piece of that project should help me to hold onto the information a bit better than usual.

Saturday, February 11, 2017


The week began with or midterm which we had to get a 50 on in order to receive or quarter averages for our grade. After the grades came back, I did credit recovery on the ones that I got wrong in order to get back credit for the third quarter test grade. We began the official school week a group project where we had to decide if Jeff was related to a family using DNA testing. There were four figures shown in the packet we received and we had to see if the bands that were given matched up with the mother and the father as well as Jeff. Our group found out in the end that Jeff was not related to family H and made a powerpoint discussing the problems that we found in the testing.  This was a good intro to the DNA unit that we are moving into and showed how small differences in coding and DNA strands can mean something big, like not being a child. This also shows that multiple DNA tests need to be run in order to make a good guess on relation. The next thing we did was disco the two vodcasts that we had done on DNA throughout the week. The only part that we haven't studied in class yet is how the transcription occurs in the cells and how proteins are made from the strands. We also got packers on DNA as well that we worked through at our lab stations in order to further our understandings of the concepts. Next week we will disco the transcription vodcast and discuss the vodcast as a whole with all its parts. DNA is a difficult concept so I'll need to study in order to retain it all.